Business / Service Description
Besides, Research & Development work (through Sponsored and In-house Research Projects), BTRA provides entire gamut of services such as:
Providing solutions to technical and techno-economic problems regarding- Quality, Machine Production, Machine Maintenance, Manpower Complement, Quality Systems, etc. through Shop-floor Investigations in weaving and chemical processing areas. The type of segments covered are as follows:
- Composite or textile processing industries carrying out bleaching, dyeing, printing, finishing of all blends and unions of woven and knitted fabrics.
- Weaving industries making woven fabrics on shuttle and /or shuttleless loom in plain and various designs consisting grey or dyed yarn.
- Dyestuffs and chemicals/ auxiliaries manufacturers and suppliers interested to improve their profitability in global market.
- Manufacturers of chemical processing machinery for fibre, top, yarn, fabric etc. interested for optimising the machines features for customers benefits.
- Right first time production of internationally acceptable quality fabric for international retailer/market.
- Fibre manufacturers interested to give optimum productivity at compatible cost with quality consistency.
- Manufacturers of Technical Textiles.
- Manufacturers of non-woven fabrics.
- Fabric Defect Analysis.
- Calibration services to industry.
BTRA has obtained accreditation from NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) as per ISO/IEC 17025-2005 standards for its testing laboratories. The advantage of NABL Accreditation is that the results issued by BTRA are well accepted among buyers especially foreign buyers.
Testing at BTRA is performed as per various National and International Standards such as IS, ASTM, BS, ISO, AATCC, EN ISO, 16 CFR, EDANA and INDA. Types of testing undertaken at BTRA are as follows:
- For fibre, yarn, fabric [made with natural and man-made fibres and woven / nonwovens / knitted fabrics] and allied products
- Testing of Geosynthetics and other technical textiles products
- Testing for Microbiology
- Testing as per Eco-parameters [Eco-testing]
- Testing of effluents / chemicals / auxiliaries for their bio-degradability and fish toxicity.
- Testing of machinery accessories and spares
Calibration laboratory of BTRA, is accredited by the NABL for the calibration of Mass, Volume and Balance for the following range:
|Parameter to be calibrated||Range|
|Balance||1mg to 5 kg|
|Weights||1mg to 5 kg|
|Volumetric glassware||0.5ml (500µl) to 100ml|
Maintenance Audit in machinery and energy in the field of weaving / processing
Conservation of Utilities
BTRA undertakes shop-floor studies to suggest ways to reduce water consumption and energy consumption in processing units alongwith Boiler Monitoring and Steam Trap Checking services to conserve energy.
Certification of ISO – 9000 and ISO – 14000
Assisting units to get Certification of ISO – 9000 for quality, Consultancy for laboratories to get ISO 17025 accreditation.
BTRA provides expertise to textile units in getting ISO 9000 certification for quality management. The areas include –
- Conducting awareness programmes to the staff
- Preparation of manuals/procedures/work instructions, etc.
- Reviewing/auditing of all departments
- Suggest corrective measures to streamline the quality system
- Providing guidelines to conduct internal audits
- Assisting units for transition to ISO 9001:2000.
As a backup support, BTRA can draw the expertise of its technical team to advise on energy / water conservation and maintenance of machinery as well as use of its testing facilities such as eco-testing, effluent analysis, etc.
Supply of Chemicals / Gadgets
- Cuprammonium Solution (Per Litre) - 25 20
- Fluidity Tube (Calibrated) (Per Tube) - 30 25
- Viscosity Cup (Calibrated) (Per Cup) - 80 60
- Viscometer Jacket (Per Jacket) - 10 8
- Calibration of Viscosity Cup (Per Cup) - 30 20
- Calibration of Fluidity Tube (Per Tube) - 30 20
Defect Analysis Department
Defect in the textile material is the prime concern in the textile sector. Defect analysis helps one to understand the reasons for not achieving the right quality. ‘The Bombay Textile Research Association’ (BTRA) is the place where complete solution is available for all types of defects.
At BTRA, defect analysis department leverages with physical, chemical, polymer labs and Technical services Department. Here, we analyze the defects regarding all types of fibers, yarns and fabrics. This includes all types of barre, warp and weft lines, all type of stains, poor mechanical properties, shade variation, color fastness to wash, light and rubbing and many more.
Special studies such as techno-economic viability studies, vetting of modernisation proposals, project report certification, etc.
Fabric Quality Management
BTRA assists fabric exporters to export quality cloth. It undertakes inspection of finished fabrics that are ready for delivery. Moreover, it offers backup services such as diagnosing the fabric faults and its rectification and testing facilities. In short, this activity covers the following:
- Fabric Inspection and Certification backed by total technical support for diagnosis and correction of faults as well as relevant testing
- Product Specification and Properties Certification
- Right Quality Fabric Sourcing / Quality Assurance – ISO
Need based training programmes for (i) technical and supervisory staff and (ii) operative staff – operators and maintenance.
Dissemination of information
By conducting, seminars, conferences, workshops, etc. and through releasing of publications.